Loaded with veggies and nutritious almond flour, these gluten-free, vegetarian tots are ready to be snacked on! You don’t need to have a tot to make these veggie tots, but, if you do, this is a much cleaner version of the tater classic that you can feel good about serving to your little ones — and yourself. The beauty of these is that they can be made with many different types of veggies (or a combo) to yield golden brown oven-baked finger foods perfect for packing in lunches, baking into casseroles, enjoying as a mid-afternoon sack, dipping into hummus or ketchup, and so on. My personal favorite? A broccoli-cauliflower combo!
ANY VEGGIE TOTS
Makes about 12 tots
- 1 cup grated or shredded vegetable (broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, and sweet potato are good choices)
- 1/4 cup finely diced white onion
- 1 large garlic clove, minced, or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Fine sea salt and pepper
- Mustard, ketchup, and/or hummus (store-bought or homemade), for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- If you’re using a watery vegetable, like zucchini, put it in cheesecloth or a clean kitchen towel, gather the sides of the cheesecloth or towel, and squeeze out excess liquid over the sink.
- In a medium bowl, combine the grated vegetable, onion, garlic, almond flour, Parmesan, parsley, egg, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a few grinds of pepper. Add a little more almond flour if the mixture seems too wet. Mix well. Form the mixture into tot shapes and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the tots for 25 to 30 minutes, flipping halfway through, until golden brown and crisp around the edges. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with your favorite condiment for dipping.