Green beans or not, say the word fry in my house, and my kids come running! The Green Bean “Fries” with Yogurt Dill Dip from my latest cookbook, True Roots, are super yummy and fun for kids to eat. Even better, they’re a healthy option because they’re made from vegetables and almond flour! I am always looking for new ways to bring more veggies into my family’s meals, and this is an easy one to prepare any day of the week.
For a storytime snack, I like to prep these Green Bean “Fries” and pair them with The Day the Crayons Quit, written by Drew Daywalt and illustrated by Oliver Jeffers. The hilarious text and adorable illustrations make this a beloved book in our home, and one that both Jay and I can enjoy reading with our children. This is their favorite book to read over and over again. Jaxon likes to make his younger sister, Saylor, laugh by pretending that the green beans are the crayons in the books. (While he shouldn’t play with his food, I can’t argue that the beans do look like the crayons!) He’ll mimic the voices from the characters in the book to play along as I read. If we have time — or enough fries — we’ll read the book’s sequel, The Day the Crayons Came Home.
As an added bonus: These green beans are super simple to whip up. I suggest letting the Yogurt Dill Dip sit for at least 30 minutes to let the flavors meld together. If your kids are like mine, they’ll want to dip their fries into something — and you might find yourself testing it out on some carrots yourself.
Sit back, snack on this treat, and enjoy a wonderful story time with your children.
GREEN BEAN “FRIES” WITH YOGURT DILL DIP
For the Green Bean “Fries”:
(Makes 4 servings)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil + extra for the baking sheets
- 1 pound fresh green beans, ends trimmed
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup grated Manchego cheese
- 1 teaspoon pink
- Himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Yogurt Dill Dip:
(Makes about 2 cups)
- 1 cup plain sheep’s milk yogurt
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chopped dill
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pinch of pink Himalayan salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
Make the Yogurt Dill Dip:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, mayo, dill, garlic powder, lemon juice, salt, and pepper until well combined. Let sit in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or up to overnight.
Make the Green Bean “Fries”:
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and drizzle with olive oil.
- Place the green beans, egg yolks, and oil in a large bowl. Mix well with your hands until the green beans are completely coated. Add the almond flour, cheese, salt, garlic powder, paprika, and pepper and toss to coat.
- Spread the green beans on the prepared baking sheets and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until crispy. Serve with the Yogurt Dill Dip.
Learn More About the Books: