For some of us, summer is the best season to read. Beach days? Bring a book! Waiting out a thunderstorm? Time to read! Long car or plane trip? Of course our pages are packed! But we all know that not every child picks reading as their first-choice activity over the warmer months, even if they truly enjoy books.
That’s why we’ve teamed up with Melissa & Doug — creator of imaginative, learning-based toys for children — to put together a Summer Reading Challenge for Kids that’s packed with inspiring ideas to make reading a fun adventure. Filled with exciting ways to play, learn, and explore both inside and outside your home, our checklist of 20 interactive challenge ideas encourages all kinds of readers to discover new books, prevent summer learning loss, and develop a year-long (and lifelong!) love of books.
Below you’ll find a preview of five ideas from our Summer Reading Challenge. Want more? Scroll down to download a printable version of all 20 ideas!
- How many books do you think you can read this summer? Set a goal and make a poster to track your progress! Invite a friend or family member to join you in creating a reading goal.
- Going on a trip? Find a book set in that location to read while you travel there!
- Read a book that takes place in nature, then go to your backyard or a park and study bugs up close, observe trees and flowers, and enjoy the wonders of the world!
- Ask a Librarian: If you don’t have a library card, ask your librarian how you can get one. Also ask about any library perks you might not know about, such as access to CDs, learning games, fun classes, and more.
- Read a graphic novel or comic book, then use sidewalk chalk to write or draw your own story on pavement.
Looking for more summer reading inspiration? Brightly and Melissa & Doug have teamed up to offer readers a chance to win a Family Summer Fun Pack filled with brand-new books and toys! Click here to learn more.